Intellizence highlights the Merger & Acquisition Deals trends for January 2023 in the most active sectors – technology, healthcare, banking & financial services, energy, and manufacturing.
Largest M&A Deals in January 2023
The top ten largest merger and acquisition deals across sectors were:
Acquiring Company Acquired Company Deal
Emerson Electric Co. National Instruments $7.6 billion
Xylem Evoqua $7.5 billion
Vista Equity Partners Duck Creek $2.6 billion
Thoma Bravo Magnet Forensics Inc. C$1.8 billion
AstraZeneca CinCor Pharma $1.8 billion
Matador Resources Company Advance Energy Partners Holdings $1.6 billion
Chiesi Farmaceutici Amryt Pharma $1.48 Billion
WildFire Energy I Chesapeake Energy Corporation (Brazos Valley region) $1.42 Billion
KKR S&P Global (Engineering Solutions business) $975 Million
Major Sector-wise Merger and Acquisition Deals:
Banking, Private Equity & Financial Services
- McKinsey & Company has acquired Iguazio, a Tel-Aviv-based leader in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
- Fidelity Investments has acquired Shoobx, a provider of automated equity management operations and financing software for private companies.
- S&P Global has acquired TruSight Solutions to enhance its KY3P® risk management capabilities.
- KPMG LLP has acquired a prominent strategy consultancy firm, The Arnold Group.
- American Express has acquired B2B payments automation company Nipendo.
- BioNTech acquires Tunisian-born and UK-based AI startup InstaDeep for Â£562M
- Longevity Biomedical, a biopharmaceutical company became a publicly listed company via a merger with Denali Capital Acquisition Corp., a SPAC, at a valuation of approximately $236.2 million.
- mRNA specialist Moderna will acquire OriCiro Genomics K.K, a pioneer in cell-free DNA synthesis and amplification technologies, for $85 million.
- Bausch + Lomb has acquired AcuFocus.
- VillageMD has finalized the acquisition of Summit Health-CityMD, creating one of the largest independent provider groups in the U.S.
- Cognizant to acquire Mobica to enhance its IoT software engineering service offerings
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise has acquired Pachyderm to expand AI-at-Scale capabilities with reproducible AI.
- Accenture has acquired SKS Group, strengthening its SAP and regulatory capabilities for banking clients in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.
- Meta has acquired Luxexcel, a smart eyewear company.
Top Five SPAC Mergers Deals in January 2023
SPACs have become more mainstream on wall street today. So far, several companies have gone public through an IPO, direct listing, or SPAC in 2022.
- Alpha Healthcare Acquisition Corp. III, a SPAC to merge with Carmell Therapeutics, a Phase 2 Stage Biotechnology Company.
- Psyence Group, a biotechnology company to go public via combination with Newcourt Acquisition Corp, a special purpose acquisition company leveraging natural psilocybin in the treatment of palliative care.
- World View to go public via SPAC deal with Leo Holdings Corp II.
- Spectaire, the innovative emissions monitoring provider, to go public via business combination with Perception Capital Corp. II.
- Wejo Group Limited, a leader in Smart Mobility for Good cloud and software analytics for connected, electric and autonomous mobility, to go public via a business combination agreement with TKB Critical Technologies 1.
- Electro-Sensors and Mobile X Global, have terminated the merger agreement mutually.
- Rupert Mrdoch has killed off a proposal to re-merge Fox and News Corporation.
Major M&A Deals that got Regulatory Approval
- J.P. Morgan Asset Management has got regulatory approval for 100% ownership of China Joint Venture
- BMO has received regulatory approval to acquire Bank of the West.